It’s very rare that I eat a salad and go “this is frickin’ amazing.” But that’s how I felt when I first tried this one in my Hello Fresh box a few months ago. Hello Fresh is much like Blue Apron, a meal delivery kit service that I’ve written about in the past, but Reg and I have recently switched to Hello Fresh instead since we prefer their meals and larger portions.
One of the coolest things about trying a meal kit service is you get introduced to new foods you’ve never tried. One of my new favorites is israeli couscous, which is a little bit more pasta-like than traditional couscous, almost like tiny pasta balls. It’s filling, easy to make, and extremely delicious, making it the perfect “filler” for a more hearty salad. Here it’s paired deliciously with roasted cauliflower and bell peppers, plus pickled shallots and golden raisins. I’ve improved their original recipe with more israeli couscous and raisins, for the perfect balance of sweet and savory. I can easily eat just this for a meal!
- 1 head cauliflower
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 shallot
- 3/4 cups Israeli Couscous
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 bunch of parsley
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees. Bring a pot of water with a pinch of salt to a boil.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Toss it with olive oil, salt, and pepper and put it on a baking tray.
- Thinly slice the shallots into rounds. Roughly chop the parsley. Cut the bell pepper in half, remove the seeds and white ribs, and thinly slice. Toss it with olive oil, salt, and pepper, and add it to the baking tray half-way through cooking the cauliflower. Cook until soft and lightly charred.
- Add the israeli couscous to the boiling water and cook for 7-9 minutes, until al dente. Drain and rinse it under cold water.
- In a pot of water, bring the vinegar, shallots, and 1/3 cup of water to a boil. Remove it from heat, and let it sit for 3 minute, then remove the shallots from the liquid.
- In a bowl, toss together roasted cauliflower, israeli couscous, golden raisins, parsley leaves, pickled shallot, roasted red peppers, and almonds.