I feel icky. After a work and personal trip this month and a few days of being sick, I’ve not only been skipping the gym too much, but I’ve also been eating at too many restaurants. My fat and salt intake is out of control, and I feel bloated as a result.
So as soon as I got back from my Indiana business trip this week, I went to the grocery store and loaded up on salad supplies. While I’m not a huge fan of traditional lettuce-with-toppings salads, making some creative salads that I can just leave in the fridge for meals or snacks means I’m more likely to reach for a healthy food when hungry.
While my roasted cauliflower salad with israeli couscous is my go-to, I also made a huge batch of this watermelon salad with cucumber, feta, and marinated red onion. It’s sweet, so it satisfies my sweet tooth, and it is so refreshing and light, I actually like it for breakfast! What other salad can you say that about?
What’s your favorite salad recipe? I need more suggestions!
- 1/2 seedless watermelon, cubed
- 1 english cucumber, cut in half and sliced
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1/2 red onion, sliced
- 3 tbsp. red wind vinegar
- In a small bowl, combine red wine vinegar and 1/3 cup water. Add sliced red onion and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Combine seedless watermelon, english cucumber, and feta cheese in a large bowl. Remove red onion from marinate and add, sprinkling some marinade on top, if desired. Gently mix until completely combined.
- Enjoy immediately or refrigerate for later.